A Guide to PAI CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is PAI?
PAI (Polyamide-imide) is a high performance amorphous thermoplastic which is often used in place of metal components where there are weight restrictions.
PAI is considered the highest performing thermoplastic. It is available in a number of grades (such as carbon-fibre reinforced, glass-fibre reinforced, PTFE-filled, graphite-filled, unfilled, wear resistant, high strength, low friction) with varying characteristics.
Main Attributes of PAI:
- High service temperature in air (up to around 260°C continuously)
- Good UV resistance
- Excellent dimensional stability
- Low coefficient of linear thermal expansion
- High creep resistance
- Yellow to brown colour
- Excellent chemical resistance (except strong alkali, oxidising acids & nitrogen containing solvents)
- Excellent electrical properties
- High cost
- Flame resistant
- High impact strength
- Can be bonded
- Low moisture absorption
GET PAI MACHINING QUOTE
Detailed information about PAI for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
PAI Machining Service - PAI Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate PAI machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
We communicate well with customers, we take care with the projects placed with us and we are consistent in our service delivery. See our Proven Process page to find out more about our winning formula.
"Penta Precision were able to take my original part designs and use their extensive engineering experience to make improvements to them. All of which was handled with exemplary customer service, which left me feeling in complete control of the project." Robert - Project Engineer
Penta Precision provides the following PAI machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining PAI for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your PAI machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.