PAI Machined Parts
A Guide to PAI - CNC Milled & Turned Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is PAI?
PAI (Polyamide-imide) is a high performance amorphous thermoplastic which is often used in place of metal components where there are weight restrictions.
PAI is considered the highest performing thermoplastic. It is available in a number of grades (such as carbon-fibre reinforced, glass-fibre reinforced, PTFE-filled, graphite-filled, unfilled, wear resistant, high strength, low friction) with varying characteristics.
Main Attributes of PAI:
- High service temperature in air (up to around 260°C continuously)
- Good UV resistance
- Excellent dimensional stability
- Low coefficient of linear thermal expansion
- High creep resistance
- Yellow to brown colour
- Excellent chemical resistance (except strong alkali, oxidising acids &
- nitrogen containing solvents)
- Excellent electrical properties
- High cost
- Flame resistant
- High impact strength
- Can be bonded
- Low moisture absorption
GET A QUOTE
Detailed information about PAI for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see PAI referred to as:
- Duratron® PAI
PAI Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which PAI is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using PAI and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Switches/plug components
- Sliding rollers
- Insulating parts
- Support rings
- Electrical connectors
- Other components that are subject to high mechanical strength
PAI Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in PAI. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following PAI services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
We are committed to delivering an exemplary service to our customers. One significant way in which we achieve this is through
We are regularly machining PAI for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your PAI machining requirements.