A Guide to Acrylic CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is Acrylic?
Acrylic, commonly known as the brand name Perspex®, is a transparent thermoplastic with excellent strength and optical clarity and is thus widely used as a glass substitute; though it outperforms glass in several aspects.
Similar in characteristics to Polycarbonate, Acrylic has a lower impact strength but still boasts 10-24 times the impact resistance of glass. It is also more flexible and lighter than glass.
Main Attributes of Acrylic:
- Excellent optical clarity and light transmission properties
- Abrasive resistance comparable to aluminium
- Good chemical resistance
- Good flexural strength
- Around half the weight of glass and easier to process
- Readily available and reasonability cost effective
- Excellent weatherability and resistance to sunlight
- Excellent dimensional stability
- Subject to stress cracking
- Available in transparent or opaque forms
- More flexible and shock resistant than glass
- Good insulator
- Good acoustic properties (can act as sound barrier)
- BPA free
- Easy to solvent bond
- UV resistant
- FDA Compliant grades available
- Available in all colours imaginable
- 100% recyclable
- Available with a range of coatings including abrasion resistant, bullet resistant and electrostatic dissipative (ESD)
GET ACRYLIC MACHINING QUOTE
Detailed information about Acrylic for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
Acrylic Machining Service - Acrylic Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate Acrylic machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following Acrylic machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
There are 3 key elements that run through the core of our company and staff at every level to ensure we deliver an exemplary service that goes above and beyond. We like to call these our 3 C's:
We are regularly machining Acrylic for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your Acrylic machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.