Aluminium Cast Tooling Plate Machining
A Guide to aluminium cast tooling plate CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is Aluminium Cast Tooling Plate?
As the name implies aluminium cast tooling plate is manufactured using a casting process, giving the material a fine granular structure. The plate’s two main faces have a machined finish to Ra 0.4 - 0.8 Å³m, typically protected with thin polycoat film.
Cast tooling plate is most commonly available in the UK in subtly different 5000 series aluminium grades. However cast tooling plate is also available in both 6000 and 7000 series aluminium, although this is not readily available in the UK.
Conventional aluminium plate is manufactured from forged wrought ingots rolled to size and heat treated.
Cast aluminium tooling plate is manufactured close to finish thickness by a horizontal continuous aluminium flow casting process delivering a uniform fine grain structure.
The cast plate is then heat treated above 370°C for close to 10 hours to fully anneal (stress relieve) to remove any manufacturing stresses. The cast plate is then lightly machined to its finished size and protective films applied.
GET TOOLING PLATE MACHINING QUOTE
Main Attributes of Cast Aluminium Tooling Plate:
- Uniform fine grain structure
- Very low porosity
- Good tensile strength
- Good ductility
- Stress free condition similar to condition “0” temper wrought plate
- Ra 0.4 - 0.8 Å³m finish to main faces, typically protected with thin polycoat film
- Very good flatness, typically 0.15 - 0.5 mm dependant on area of plate
- Very good machinability
- Excellent dimensional stability even when heavily machined
- Excellent base material to start machining manufacture
- Excellent mechanical and dimensional stability when repeatedly heated and cooled in its application of use
- Annealing after machining is not required
- Good polishing characteristics
- Good anodising and hard anodising properties
- Excellent corrosion resistance
- Very good weldability
Detailed information about Aluminium Cast Tooling Plate for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
Cast Aluminium Tooling Plate Machining Service
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate Cast Aluminium Tooling Plate machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
To read an example of how Penta delivered on an aluminium tooling plate project for a fast-moving consumer goods customer, please see our Case Studies page (case study 1).
Penta Precision provides the following Aluminium Cast Tooling Plate services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
There are 3 key elements that run through the core of our company and staff at every level to ensure we deliver an exemplary service that goes above and beyond. We like to call these our 3 C's:
We are regularly machining Aluminium Cast Tooling Plate for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your Aluminium Cast Tooling Plate machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.