CNC Miller, Programmer, Setter, Operator
CNC Miller, Programmer, Setter, Operator
We are recruiting a CNC Miller, Programmer, Setter, Operator to join our production team. They will be responsible for producing high quality components for Penta's customers, time after time, liaising with colleagues across the business to follow procedures and develop best-practice methodologies.
All employees at Penta are expected to continually look for ways to develop themselves and the team by being active in weekly meetings and engaging positively with Penta's "operating system" – the way we work.
Mission - CNC Miller, Programmer, Setter, Operator
Penta's CNC Miller, Programmer, Setter, Operators work together to consistently produce 'better than the norm' quality of components, using robust working methods, whilst maximising machining efficiency and machine utilisation. They should embrace continuous improvement to deliver better production flow and quality outcomes, thus contributing to Penta's journey to become "the engineering company where everyone wants to work and who everyone wants to buy from".
1. Program, set and operate multiple CNC machines
- Whenever possible independently devise work holding, working methods and machining processes.
- Program and set 3-, 4- and 5-axis machines using Fusion 360 - 3D and EZ-Mill 2D off line CAD/CAM software.
- Follow standardized programming, tooling and program filing procedures.
- At the end of shift, leave the next component ready to roll in the morning.
2. Consistently produce “better than the norm” quality of components
- Use robust work holding and working methods.
- Produce right first time first offs.
- Conduct in process inspection to validate processes.
- Produce finished components to be proud of.
- Engage and participate in 8D-NCR investigations when required.
3. Maximise machining efficiency and machine utilisation
- Always work to beat planned card times.
- Continually test improving the efficiency of machining methods without compromising the stability of process.
- Communicate and collaborate with team mates to maximise machines in-cycle and machine utilisation.
- Support colleagues and the team with sick or holiday cover.
4. Contribute with other departmental tasks
- Bench work, tool fitting and other assembly work where necessary.
- Setting and operating manual metal cutting machinery, e.g. centre lathes, universal milling machines, and surface grinders.
- Assisting with material deliveries where necessary.
- Assist with cross training and mentoring junior staff members.
- Good housekeeping.
5. Proactively contribute to the milling department’s continuous improvement activities
- Play an equal part in the milling weekly L10 meeting.
- Red flag issues and opportunities for improvement.
- 100% completion of “to dos” within 14 days complete one "rock" per quarter.
- Work together with colleagues to cross train and upskill.
- Follow ISO 9001:2015 procedures and feedback systems.
Penta people are flexible, have a can do attitude, make work enjoyable for all, we are conscientious, and we strive for improvement in ourselves and the company.
What does that look like in this job role?
When programming, setting and operating
- Devise robust processes.
- Use agreed standardized procedures, construct and annotate programmes clearly so they are easy to follow by all.
- Use an existing program where ever possible, get the job up and running and then always try to improve the machining efficiency.
- To help expedite decision making, firstly think through two or three approaches to obstacles encountered before approaching colleagues.
- Note process improvements on works orders so we continuously improve.
When producing “better than the norm” quality of components
- Conscientiously produce a good first off and conduct the visual comparison check.
- Be conscientious with in process inspection and deburring.
- Engage and contribute at 8D investigations so we learn from our mistakes.
- Help teammates, clean up or accomplish something else whilst waiting for the first offs to be completed.
- Being clear, balanced and honest, yet sensitive and supportive when giving input.
When working to maximise machining efficiency and machine utiliation
- Ensuring that Penta’ remains an enjoyable and safe place of work for all.
- Lead by embracing new technology and processes, giving them a go and contribute to further improvements.
- Encourage employees to operate multiple (two or more) machines to maximise workflow and aid others on setting operations.
When helping with other departmental tasks
- Never let anyone struggle, help out.
- Help with material deliveries if you are close to hand and available.
- Being conscientious and setting a good example about the use of personal mobile phones, moments of “respite” and break times.
- Use time effectively, there’s always someone that needs a helping hand.
- Keep a tidy work area.
When working on departmental continuous improvement
- Be positive about the need to have a KPI focus to help drive and monitor progress.
- Ask questions rather than make statements to help improve understanding, consider different points of view and make better decisions quicker.
- Embrace change in processes and “give it a go”, we need to be ahead of the game.
- Engage, help prioritise issues, find and implement solutions during the flow of the working day.