A Guide to stainless steel 303 CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 303?
Stainless steel 303 is the most readily machineable austenitic stainless steel.
The addition of Sulphur in the steel composition improves machining but also causes a decrease in the corrosive resistance and a slight reduction of the toughness when compared to 304.
Main Attributes of Stainless 303:
- Excellent machinability
- Non-seizing and non-galling properties make it ideal for moving parts
- Good mechanical resistant properties
- Good corrosion resistance in mild environments (less corrosion resistance than 304)
- Not suitable for moist/marine environments
- Good resistance to oxidisation when intermittently exposed to temperatures of up to 760°C and continuous exposure to 870°C although not recommended for continuous use at 425-860°C as sensitive to carbide precipitation
- Poor weldability
Stainless 303 Machining Quote
Detailed information about 303 for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see 303 referred to as:
- 1.4305 Bar
- BS 303S31
- EN 58M
- AMS 5640
- AMS QQ-S-764B Cond A
- Australia – A S 2837-1986-303
- Germany - W.Nr 1.4305 X10CrNiS 18 9
- GB - BS970 Part3 1991 303S31, BS970 1955 EN58M
- Japan - JIS G4303 SuS 303
- USA - ASTM A582/582M-95b 303, SAE 30303 AISI 303, UNS S30300
303 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which 303 stainless steelis appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using 303 and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
303 is typically used in applications that require parts to be heavily machined e.g.
- Food processing & production equipment
- Valve bodies & fittings
- Pump components
- Nuts, bolts & screws
- Aircraft fittings & parts
- Food & packaging
303 Stainless Processing Machinery Replacement Part
303 Machining Service - Stainless 303 Milling & Turning
Penta Precision provides highly accurate stainless 303 machined parts. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 303 stainless steel machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
There are 3 key elements that run through the core of our company and staff at every level to ensure we deliver an exemplary service that goes above and beyond. We like to call these our 3 C's:
We are regularly machining 303 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your stainless 303 machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.