Stainless Steel 440C Machining
A Guide to 440C CNC Machined Parts
What is stainless 440C?
Stainless steel 440C is a martensitic stainless steel and is supplied in round bar. After heat treatment, it’s capable of attaining the highest strength, hardness and wear resistance of all the stainless alloys.
440C is very similar to 440A and 440B but with a higher carbon content and slightly lower corrosion resistance. 440C is also more readily available.
Main Attributes of 440C:
- Moderate corrosion resistance in mild environments
- Excellent wear resistance and hardness
- Good strength
- Responds well to heat treatment
- Magnetic in all conditions
- Not recommended for using in elevated or sub-zero temperatures
Stainless 440C Machining Characteristics
Stainless steel 440C is relatively easily machined in the annealed condition. Carbide or ceramic tooling is recommended for use with this alloy.
Machining is extremely difficult once hardened and not recommended.
GET 440C MACHINING QUOTE
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see stainless 440C referred to as:
- ASTM A276
- AMS 5618 (aerospace grade)
420 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which stainless 440C is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using 440C and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Ball bearings
- Valve parts
- Rolling element bearings
- Surgical instruments
- Measuring instruments
- Gage blocks
- Mould inserts
440C Machining Service - 440C Milling & Turning
Penta Precision provides highly accurate 440C machined parts. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 440C machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
Our 3 unique pillars to delivering exemplary service:
We are regularly machining 440C for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your 440C machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.