316 Machined Parts
A Guide to Stainless Steel 316 - CNC Milled & Turned Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 316?
316 is an austenitic grade of stainless steel, second only to 304 in commercial importance.
It has improved corrosion resistance due to the addition of molybdenum. This makes it a little more expensive than 304.
316L is the low carbon version of 316.
Main Attributes of Stainless 316:
- Excellent corrosion resistance (wider range of chemicals than 304)
- Performs well when exposed to relatively high and sub-zero temperatures
- Easily machined
- Suited to all standard methods of welding
- Subject to pitting and crevice corrosion in warm chloride environments
- Ease of cleaning
- Subject to stress cracking above 60°c
- Good heat resistance – oxidation resistance in intermittent use up to 870°c and continuous use up to 925°c, however continuous use at 425-860°c is not recommended. In this instance, 316L is recommended.
GET A QUOTE
Detailed information about stainless steel 316 for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see 316 referred to as:
- 1.4401 (316)
- 1.4404 (316L)
- UNS S31600
- UNS S21300
- UNS S31603
- UNS S31609
- EN 58H
316 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which 316 is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using 316 and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Processing equipment
- Chemical & petrochemical equipment
- Medical implants
- Flanges and fittings
- External architectural components in coastal areas such as:
- Dyeing equipment
- Boat fittings
- Food processing
- Architecture & construction
- Oil & gas
- Pharmaceutical & medical
Stainless 316 CNC Turned Replacement Part
316 Stainless CNC Milled Replacement Part
316 Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in stainless 316. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 316 services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining 316 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your 316 machining requirements.