304/304L Machining, Properties & Components
What is 304?
304 is the most common stainless steel used globally. It is chosen for its excellent corrosion resistance and value for money.
304 and other austenitic steels also offer a balance of strength and workability.
304L is the extra low carbon form of 304 which has improved resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion in chloride bearing environments.
The most common form of 304 is 18/8 – which contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel.
Main Attributes of Stainless 304:
- Can withstand corrosion from most oxidising acids
- Easy to sanitize due to its durability
- Excellent toughness
- Susceptible to corrosion from chloride solutions and saline environments
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Ease of cleaning
- Outstanding welding characteristics
- Good heat resistance – oxidation resistance in intermittent use up to 870°c and continuous use up to 925°c, however continuous use at 425-860°c is not recommended. In this instance, 304L is recommended.
Get a Quote
Detailed information about 304 for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see 304 referred to as:
304 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which 304 is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using 304 and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Kitchen & food processing equipment
- Buildings & décor
- Tanks & containers
- Water tubing
- Chemical containers
- Heat exchangers
- Domestic tools & utensils
- Architectural panelling, trim & railings
- Food processing
304 Stainless Steel CNC Milled Track
Stainless Steel 304 Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in stainless 304. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 304 services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
We are committed to delivering an exemplary service to our customers. One significant way in which we achieve this is through
We are regularly machining 304 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your 304 machining requirements.