A Guide to Stainless Steel 316 CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 316?
316 is an austenitic grade of stainless steel, second only to 304 in commercial importance.
It has improved corrosion resistance due to the addition of molybdenum. This makes it a little more expensive than 304.
316L is the low carbon version of 316.
Main Attributes of Stainless 316:
- Excellent corrosion resistance (wider range of chemicals than 304)
- Performs well when exposed to relatively high and sub-zero temperatures
- Easily machined
- Suited to all standard methods of welding
- Subject to pitting and crevice corrosion in warm chloride environments
- Ease of cleaning
- Subject to stress cracking above 60°c
- Good heat resistance – oxidation resistance in intermittent use up to 870°c and continuous use up to 925°c, however continuous use at 425-860°c is not recommended. In this instance, 316L is recommended.
Detailed information about stainless steel 316 for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
316 Machining Service - 316 Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate stainless 316 machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
We communicate well with customers, we take care with the projects placed with us and we are consistent in our service delivery. See our Proven Process page to find out more about our winning formula.
"It has been a pleasure to work with Penta Precision with clear, concise and accurate communication and products exactly meeting our specification." Anthony - Quality Manager
Penta Precision provides the following 316 machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining 316 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your 316 machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.