Polyethylene (PE) Plastic Machining
A Guide to Polyethylene CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is Polyethylene Plastic?
Polyethylene (PE) also known as Polythene (IUPAC name polyethene) is a semi-crystalline thermoplastic. PE offers high levels of toughness with low strength and hardness. Its versatility has made it one of the most popular plastics globally.
There are many variants of Polyethylene plastic – the most well-known being HDPE, LDPE, UHMWPE and HMWPE. A breakdown of these can be found in the ‘notes for designers’ tab below.
Main Attributes of Polyethylene Plastic:
The attributes of polyethylene depends on the type although the below properties are largely universal:
- High toughness
- Excellent chemical resistance
- High impact strength
- Low moisture absorption
- Very good electrical insulation
- Excellent machinability
- Most grades suitable for food contact
- Good resistance to high energy radiation
- Good stability to temperature
- Lower thermal and mechanical properties (tensile stress, flexural and compressive strength) than engineering plastics
- Relatively low cost
Detailed information about Polyethylene for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
Polyethylene Machining Service - Polyethylene Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate Polyethylene machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
We communicate well with customers, we take care with the projects placed with us and we are consistent in our service delivery. See our Proven Process page to find out more about our winning formula.
''Penta Precision achieved tight machining tolerances on plastic components that were thought to be impossible.'' Michael - Manufacturing Engineer
Penta Precision provides the following Polyethylene machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining Polyethylene for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your Polyethylene machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.