Polycarbonate (PC) Plastic Machining
A Guide to Polycarbonate CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is Polycarbonate Plastic?
Polycarbonate (PC) is one of the fastest growing engineering plastics, with global demand exceeding 1.5 million tons.
It has good electrical properties as well as high impact resistance that will withstand extreme temperatures.
Due to its amorphous nature and low crystallinity, PC plastic is highly transparent to visible light, with better light transmission than many types of glass.
Polycarbonate is a mid-price range thermoplastic and is therefore popular as a versatile option for a variety of applications.
Glass-filled grades are also available with enhanced properties.
Main Attributes of Polycarbonate Plastic:
- Good thermal stability – thermally resistant up to 135°C
- High strength and hardness
- Good electrical insulation properties
- Exceptional resistance to weathering
- Good machinability
- Easily polished
- Low density
- Highly transparent
- High modulus of elasticity
- Food compliant grades available
- PC does have some limitations, although these can be overcome with enhanced grades:
- Limited chemical resistance
- Sensitive to scratching and stress cracking
- Tendency to yellow from prolonged exposure to UV light
- Grades include reinforced, stress crack resistant, film, flame retardant and branched, amongst others
Detailed information about Polycarbonate for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
Polycarbonate Plastic Machining Service - Polycarbonate Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate Polycarbonate machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
We communicate well with customers, we take care with the projects placed with us and we are consistent in our service delivery. See our Proven Process page to find out more about our winning formula.
"It is always a pleasure to deal with Penta Precision. Work is always completed on time, billed at the quoted amount and most importantly right first time. I would have no hesitation in recommending Penta." Mike – R & D Engineer
Penta Precision provides the following Polycarbonate machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining Polycarbonate for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your Ploycarbonate machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.