PTFE (Teflon) Machined Parts
A Guide to PTFE - CNC Milled & Turned Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is PTFE?
PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) is a semi-crystalline fluropolymer thermoplastic. It is commonly referred to as Teflon which is a brand name.
PTFE is the most widely used fluropolymer in a range of applications. It is known for being highly resistant to chemicals and for its superior thermal stability.
Compared to other engineering grade thermoplastics it has poor mechanical properties, though glass and carbon filled grades with improved dimensional stability are available.
Because of its resistance to chemicals, PTFE is commonly used in chemical, food and pharmaceutical engineering.
PTFE is favoured over PVDF for sliding applications with exposure to extreme chemical stress.
GET A QUOTE
Main Attributes of PTFE:
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Good electrical insulating properties
- Wide working temperature from -260°C to 260°C
- Very low coefficient of friction
- Poor mechanical properties – glass and carbon filled modifications available to improve dimensional stability
- Low flammability
- High UV and weather resistance
- Suitable for food contact
- Water resistant
- High impact strength
- No moisture absorption
Detailed information about PTFE for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see PTFE referred to as:
PTFE Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which PTFE is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using PTFE and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Pump components
- Semiconductor components
- Chemical & petrochemical
- Food processing
Natural PTFE CNC Machined Prototype
PTFE Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in PTFE. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following PTFE services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining PTFE for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your PTFE machining requirements.