PTFE (Teflon) Machining
A Guide to PTFE CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is PTFE?
PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) is a semi-crystalline fluropolymer thermoplastic. It is commonly referred to as Teflon which is a brand name.
PTFE is the most widely used fluropolymer in a range of applications. It is known for being highly resistant to chemicals and for its superior thermal stability.
Compared to other engineering grade thermoplastics it has poor mechanical properties, though glass and carbon filled grades with improved dimensional stability are available.
Because of its resistance to chemicals, PTFE is commonly used in chemical, food and pharmaceutical engineering.
PTFE is favoured over PVDF for sliding applications with exposure to extreme chemical stress.
Main Attributes of PTFE:
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Good electrical insulating properties
- Wide working temperature from -260°C to 260°C
- Very low coefficient of friction
- Poor mechanical properties – glass and carbon filled modifications available to improve dimensional stability
- Low flammability
- High UV and weather resistance
- Suitable for food contact
- Water resistant
- High impact strength
- No moisture absorption
Detailed information about PTFE for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
PTFE Machining Service - PTFE Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate PTFE machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
We communicate well with customers, we take care with the projects placed with us and we are consistent in our service delivery. See our Proven Process page to find out more about our winning formula.
"Customer service is always very professional with everything done to a great detail expertise. Final product is also to a very high standard." Russell - Engineering Maintenance for Production Lines
Penta Precision provides the following PTFE machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining PTFE for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your PTFE machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.