Polyethylene (PE) Machined Parts
A Guide to Polyethylene CNC Milled & Turned Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is Polyethylene?
Polyethylene (PE) also known as Polythene (IUPAC name polyethene) is a semi-crystalline thermoplastic. PE offers high levels of toughness with low strength and hardness. Its versatility has made it one of the most popular plastics globally.
There are many well-known variants of Polyethylene – a breakdown of the most common can be found in the ‘notes for designers’ tab below.
Main Attributes of Polyethylene:
The attributes of polyethylene depends on the type although the below properties are largely universal:
- High toughness
- Excellent chemical resistance
- High impact strength
- Low moisture absorption
- Very good electrical insulation
- Excellent machinability
- Most grades suitable for food contact
- Good resistance to high energy radiation
- Good stability to temperature
- Lower thermal and mechanical properties (tensile stress, flexural and compressive strength) than engineering plastics
- Relatively low cost
GET A QUOTE
Detailed information about Polyethylene for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see Polyethylene referred to as:
- HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) / PE300
- LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene)
- UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) / PE1000
- HMWPE (High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) / PE500
- LLDPE (Linear Low Density Polyethylene)
- MDPE (Medium Density Polyethylene)
- TECAFINE® PE
Polyethylene Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which Polyethylene is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using Polyethylene and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Medical equipment
- Pump parts
- Valve parts
- Die pads
- Orthotics and prosthetics
- Food technology
- Chemical technology
Polyethylene CNC Machined Component
Polyethylene Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in Polyethylene. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following Polyethylene services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
Our 3 unique pillars to delivering exemplary service:
We are regularly machining Polyethylene for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your Polyethylene machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.