Polyethylene (PE) Machining
A Guide to Polyethylene CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is Polyethylene?
Polyethylene (PE) also known as Polythene (IUPAC name polyethene) is a semi-crystalline thermoplastic. PE offers high levels of toughness with low strength and hardness. Its versatility has made it one of the most popular plastics globally.
There are many variants of Polyethylene – the most well-known being HDPE, LDPE, UHMWPE and HMWPE. A breakdown of these can be found in the ‘notes for designers’ tab below.
Main Attributes of Polyethylene:
The attributes of polyethylene depends on the type although the below properties are largely universal:
- High toughness
- Excellent chemical resistance
- High impact strength
- Low moisture absorption
- Very good electrical insulation
- Excellent machinability
- Most grades suitable for food contact
- Good resistance to high energy radiation
- Good stability to temperature
- Lower thermal and mechanical properties (tensile stress, flexural and compressive strength) than engineering plastics
- Relatively low cost
GET POLYETHYLENE MACHINING QUOTE
Detailed information about Polyethylene for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
Polyethylene Machining Service - Polyethylene Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate Polyethylene machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following Polyethylene machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
There are 3 key elements that run through the core of our company and staff at every level to ensure we deliver an exemplary service that goes above and beyond. We like to call these our 3 C's:
We are regularly machining Polyethylene for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your Polyethylene machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.