PET (Polyester) Machining
A Guide to PET/Polyester CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is PET?
Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is a type of semi-aromatic Polyester. PET is a thermoplastic commonly known under the brand name Ertalyte®. It is a naturally colourless and semi-cristalline material.
The most widely used polyester, PET is readily available and relatively inexpensive.
It is a tough, dimensionally stable plastic that offers excellent wear resistance and mechanical strength. It is often reinforced with glass fibers or compounded with silicates or graphic in engineering applications to improve strength and rigidity.
Main Attributes of PET:
- Relatively high density polyester
- High strength
- High hardness and rigity
- Extremely high strength to weight ratio
- Good creep resistance, even at elevated temperatures
- Extremely low moisture absorption
- Outstanding dimensional stability
- Good temperature stability
- Good dimensional stability
- Good chemical resistance
- Good adhesion and welding ability
- Excellent wear resistance
- Excellent stain resistance
- Good electrical insulating properties
- Good resistance to high energy radiation
- Food (FDA) compliant
- Very good heat and heat ageing resistance
- Can be used at temperatures from -20 °C to +115 °C
PET MACHINING QUOTE
Detailed information about PET for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see PET referred to as:
- Trade names: Ertalyte® PET-P (virgin grade), Ertalyte® TX (bearing grade), TECAPET®, TECADUR PET®, LUMEX®, Vivak®, Axpet®, ArniteTM, Rynite®, Impet®, Polyclear® Crystal™, Petra®, ValoxTM
- Poly(oxyethyleneoxyterephthaloyl), Poly[(ethane-1,4-diol)-alt-(terephthalic acid)]
- PETP / PET-P
- PET ZX
PET / Polyester Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which PET is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using PET and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Base plates
- Distribution valves
- Friction strips
- Dynamic seals
- Packaging machinery parts
- Cases & covers
- Insulation panes
- Housings for appliances
- Mechanical engineering
- Food technology
Glass Filled PET CNC Machined Prototype
PET Machining Service - PET Milling & Turning
Penta Precision provides highly accurate PET machined parts. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following PET machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
There are 3 key elements that run through the core of our company and staff at every level to ensure we deliver an exemplary service that goes above and beyond. We like to call these our 3 C's:
We are regularly machining PET for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your PET machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.