GET A QUOTE
A Guide to PEI CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is PEI?
PEI (Polyetherimide) is a high performance amorphous thermoplastic which is typically transparent amber in colour.
PEI is commonly used for structural components requiring high strength and rigidity at elevated temperatures as well as broad chemical resistance.
Please see our PSU (Polysulfone) page for an alternative high performance thermoplastic which has similar characteristics but is cheaper and more readily available.
Main Attributes of PEI:
- High mechanical strength
- High rigidity
- Very good dimensional stability
- Relatively high long term service temperature
- Flame resistant
- Good chemical resistance
- Excellent electrical properties
- High strength to weight ratio
- Glass-filled grade available
- Low thermal conductivity
- Highest dielectric strength of any thermoplastic
- Transparent amber
- High tensile strength
- Semi transparent
- Good UV resistance and weatherability
- Most grades suitable for use with food
- Can withstand dry heat sterilisation at 180°C, ethylene oxide gas and gamma radiation
Detailed information about PEI for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
PEI Machining Service - PEI Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate PEI machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
We communicate well with customers, we take care with the projects placed with us and we are consistent in our service delivery. See our Proven Process page to find out more about our winning formula.
"Penta Precision have supported us and our customers for approximately five years. Their pricing is competitive, with quality levels and delivery performance being consistently excellent. They communicate well and are responsive to the production deadline pressures that every company must overcome from time to time." Phillip - Director
Penta Precision provides the following PEI machining services:
- CNC milled parts – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turned parts – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining high performance thermoplastics for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your PEI machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.