A Guide to Nylon Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is Nylon?
Nylon refers to the group of plastics known as Polyamides. One of the most common engineering plastics in the world, it has outstanding bearing and wear properties.
Brand names include Nylatron®, Tecamid® and Nylacast®.
It is available as a homopolymer, copolymer or reinforced. It can also be pre-conditioned to reduce moisture absorption during its lifetime. Oil filled and glass filled grades are available.
The two most common grades of Nylon are Nylon 6 and Nylon 66. The number relates to the number of methyl groups which are located on each side of the nitrogen atoms (amide groups), the difference in which subtly influences the properties of the nylon. The information on this page refers largely to Nylon 6 and 66.
Main Attributes of Nylon:
The various grades of Nylon offer slightly different attributes. The following attributes are representative of grades 6 and 66:
GET NYLON MACHINING QUOTE
- Provides good resistance to most chemicals – but can be attacked by powerful acids, alkalis and alcohol
- Good thermal resistance
- Low coefficient of friction
- Highly moisture absorbent (up to 7% of weight) which can have a negative impact on dimensional stability
- Good electrical insulating properties
- High mechanical strength
- Good fatigue resistance
- Excellent wear resistance
- FDA grades available
Detailed information about Nylon can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
Nylon Machining Service - Nylon Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate Nylon machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following Nylon machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
There are 3 key elements that run through the core of our company and staff at every level to ensure we deliver an exemplary service that goes above and beyond. We like to call these our 3 C's:
We are regularly machining Nylon for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your Nylon machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.