Nylon Machining, Properties & Components
What is Nylon?
Nylon refers to the group of plastics known as Polyamides. One of the most common engineering plastics in the world, it has outstanding bearing and wear properties. Brand names include Nylatron®, Tecamid® and Nylacast®.
It is available as a homopolymer, copolymer or reinforced. It can also be pre-conditioned to reduce moisture absorption during its lifetime. Oil filled and glass filled grades are available.
The two most common grades of Nylon are Nylon 6 and Nylon 66. The number relates to the number of methyl groups which are located on each side of the nitrogen atoms (amide groups), the difference in which subtly influences the properties of the nylon. The information on this page refers largely to Nylon 6 and 66.
Nylon is available in a range of colours including natural, black, white, blue, grey, ivory, red, silver and yellow.
Main Attributes of Nylon:
The various grades of Nylon offer slightly different attributes. The following attributes are representative of grades 6 and 66:
GET YOUR QUOTE
- Provides good resistance to most chemicals – but can be attacked by powerful acids, alkalis and alcohol
- Good thermal resistance
- Low coefficient of friction
- Highly moisture absorbent (up to 7% of weight) which can have a negative impact on dimensional stability
- Good electrical insulating properties
- High mechanical strength
- Good fatigue resistance
- Excellent wear resistance
- FDA grades available
Detailed information about Nylon for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see Nylon referred to as:
- Nylons have many variants including: 6, 66, 6/6-6, 6/9, 6/10, 6/12, 11 and 12 to name just a few
- PA6, PA66, PA12
- Ertalon 6, Ertalon 6SA, Ertalon 66 SA, Ertalon 6PLA
- Centromid 6 E
- Centromid 12 PA
Nylon Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which Nylon is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using Nylon and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Food processing machinery components
- Food packaging
- Automotive and mechanical engineering
- Food technology
Black Nylon Milled Replacement Part
Black Nylon Scientific Machined Part
Nylon Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in Nylon. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following Nylon services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
We are committed to delivering an exemplary service to our customers. One significant way in which we achieve this is through
We are regularly machining Nylon for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your Nylon machining requirements.