ABS Machined Parts
A Guide to ABS CNC Milled & Turned Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is ABS?
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) is an opaque thermoplastic made from a two phase polymer blend. ABS is well known for its impact resistance and toughness.
ABS is both harder and more scratch resistant than PET and POM (Acetal), but has a lower thermal stability. The characteristics of basic ABS offer a wide scope for modification by varying the proportion of the components used in the polymer blend.
Main Attributes of ABS:
- Good machinability
- Easy bonding and weldability
- Gamma and x-ray resistant
- Good toughness and impact strength even at low temperatures
- High stiffness
- Good dimensional stability
- Can be used in temperatures ranging from -50°C to +70°C
- Electrically insulating
- Resists scratching
- Low density
- Good chemical resistance
- Good damping
- Low moisture absorption
- Not weather resistant
- Limited resistance to acid and caustic solutions
GET A QUOTE
Detailed information about ABS for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see ABS referred to as:
- Trade names: TecaranTM, Royalite®, Terluran®, Absylux, Absoloy, Abson, Abstrene, ABStron, 4Lac, 4Loy, Abifor, Abistir, Absolac
- CAS Registry Number: 9003-56-9
- ABS Resin
- ABS Copolymer
ABS Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which ABS is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using ABS and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Appliance housings
- Furniture components
- Structural components
- Interior panelling
- Electroplated parts
- Pipes and fittings
- Computer housings
- Radiator grills
- Domestic appliances
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical and Electronics
- Food technology
ABS Machined Part
ABS Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in ABS. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following plastic ABS services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
Our 3 unique pillars to delivering exemplary service:
We are regularly machining engineering plastics for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your ABS machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.