A Guide to aluminium 7075 CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 7075?
Aluminium 7075 was developed by a Japanese manufacturer in the 1930s, looking to build lighter aircraft.
Today 7075 bar and plate is a commonly used commercial grade of very high strength aluminium that has zinc as the primary alloying element (as with all alloys in the 7000 series). L95 is the aerospace approved equivalent.
7075 applications include high strength components where corrosion resistance is less important.
L95 applications include aerospace, nuclear and military highly stressed structural components.
Main Attributes of 7075 / L95:
- Very high strength aluminium alloy (comparable to many steels)
- Good fatigue strength
- Increased strength at sub-zero temperatures
- Reduced strength at very high temperatures
- Less resistance to corrosion than many other aluminium alloys
- Some tempers offer improved stress-corrosion cracking resistance
- One of the highest strength to weight ratios of any aluminium alloy
- Generally speaking does not offer good weldability
- Heat treatable
- Can be highly polished
- Poor formability/workability
- Attributes do vary by temper, for example:
GET 7075 MACHINING QUOTE
- T6 temper has the highest strength but lowest resistance to stress-corrosion cracking
- T73 temper provides much improved stress-corrosion resistance but decreased strength
- T76 temper provides improved exfoliation resistance and limited stress-corrosion resistance over T6 with some decrease in strength
Further details about the treatment of tempers can be found in the ‘finishing & treatments’ tab below. Other detailed information about 7075 can also be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
7075 Machining Service - 7075 Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate 7075 machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 7075 / L95 machining services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
There are 3 key elements that run through the core of our company and staff at every level to ensure we deliver an exemplary service that goes above and beyond. We like to call these our 3 C's:
We are regularly machining 7075 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your 7075 machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.