7075 Machined Parts
A Guide to aluminium 7075 - CNC Milled & Turned Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 7075?
Aluminium 7075 was developed by a Japanese manufacturer in the 1930s, looking to build lighter aircraft.
Today 7075 bar and plate is a commonly used commercial grade of very high strength aluminium that has zinc as the primary alloying element (as with all alloys in the 7000 series). L95 is the aerospace approved equivalent.
7075 applications include high strength components where corrosion resistance is less important.
L95 applications include aerospace, nuclear and military highly stressed structural components.
Main Attributes of 7075 / L95:
- Very high strength aluminium alloy (comparable to many steels)
- Good fatigue strength
- Increased strength at sub-zero temperatures
- Reduced strength at very high temperatures
- Less resistance to corrosion than many other aluminium alloys
- Some tempers offer improved stress-corrosion cracking resistance
- One of the highest strength to weight ratios of any aluminium alloy
- Generally speaking does not offer good weldability
- Heat treatable
- Can be highly polished
- Poor formability/workability
- Attributes do vary by temper, for example:
- T6 temper has the highest strength but lowest resistance to stress-corrosion cracking
- T73 temper provides much improved stress-corrosion resistance but decreased strength
- T76 temper provides improved exfoliation resistance and limited stress-corrosion resistance over T6 with some decrease in strength
GET A QUOTE
Further details about the treatment of tempers can be found in the ‘finishing & treatments’ tab below.
Detailed information about 7075 for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see 7075 referred to as:
- Global Plate Specifications: AMS 4044/4045/4078, AMS QQ-A-250/12, AMS QQ-A-250/24 (USA), AIR 9048.680/.690/.700/.710 (France), 3.4364 (Germany), EN 2126, EN 2511 (Europe).
- Global Sheet Specifications: AMS QQ-A-250/12, AMS QQ-A-250/13 (Clad), AMS QQ-A-250/24, AMS QQ-A-250/25, AMS QQ-A-250/26 (USA), AIR 9048.260/.270, AIR 9048.280 (Clad) (France), 3.4364, 3.4374 (Clad) (Germany), L88 (clad) (UK)
- Tempers: 0, T6, T651, T73, T7351, T76, F, T7651, W51(T651)
- L160 (UK bar)
- International designations: AIZn6MgCu (ISO), AI-P42 (AECMA), ALZnMgCu1.5 (Germany DIN), 3.4365 (Germany Werkstoff), A/Z5Gu (France AFNOR), P-AIZn5.8MgCu3735 (Italy Old UNI), 9007/2 (Italy New UNI), AIZn6MgCu1.5 (Switzerland)
- Trade names: Zicral, Ergal, Fortal Constructal
7075 / L95 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which 7075 is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using 7075 and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Aircraft structures & fittings
- Highly stressed structural parts
- Missile parts
- Regulating valve parts
- Bicycle components
- All-terrain vehicle sprockets
- Rock climbing equipment
- Mould tool manufacturing
Aluminium 7075 / L95 CNC Milled Aerospace Part
7075 Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in 7075. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 7075 / L95 aluminium services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
7075 Aluminium Machined Part
We are regularly machining 7075 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your 7075 machining requirements.