6082 Machined Parts
A Guide to aluminium 6082 - CNC Milled & Turned Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 6082 (L111/L113/L114/L115)?
6082 aluminium is a medium strength commercial alloy that has excellent corrosion resistance.
It is comparatively new in the 6000 series and because it has the highest strength in the series, it has replaced 6061 in many applications.
In plate form, it is the most commonly used alloy for machining. T6 is the strongest of the 6082 grades.
The aerospace equivalents of 6082 include L111 (bar), L113 (sheet), L114 (tube) and L115 (plate).
6082 grade is typically used across all market sectors as it is widely available, machines well and a range of surface treatments can be successfully applied. Application examples can be found below.
The aerospace equivalent "L Grades" are often used in military, defence and aerospace applications.
Main Attributes of Aluminium 6082:
- Medium strength
- Excellent corrosion resistance
- Extruded surface finish not as smooth as others in the 6000 series
- Good weldability but strength lowered in the weld zone
- Also good for brazing & soldering
- Suitable for outdoor applications and will not rust
- Does not perform as well when exposed to saltwater as 5000 series grades
Get a Quote
Detailed information about 6082 for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see 6082 referred to as:
- Aerospace grades: L111 (bar), L113 (sheet), L114 (tube), L115 (plate)
- Most common tempers:
- T6 (solution heat treated and artificially aged)
- T651 (solution heat treated and stress relieved by stretching then artificially aged)
- Less readily available tempers:
- T4 (solution heat treated and naturally aged to a substantially stable condition)
- O (soft)
- Other designations: HE30, H30, H30TF (TF = T6), DIN 3.2315, EN AW-6082, A96082
6082 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which 6082 is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using 6082 and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Highly stressed applications
- Structural applications
- L Grades used in aerospace, military & defence
Aluminium 6082T6 CNC Machined Component
6082 Machining Service
Penta Precision provides highly accurate machined parts in 6082. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 6082 aluminium services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining 6082 and the aerospace equivalents for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your 6082 machining requirements.