A Guide to aluminium 6061 CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 6061?
6061 is a versatile medium to high strength heat-treatable American wrought aluminium alloy.
Aluminium 6061 is primarily composed of aluminium, magnesium and silicon.
The most common temper is T6. See further heat treatments/temper states below.
Please note: the UK equivalent of 6061 is 6082. 6082 is comparatively new, has replaced 6061 in many applications and is recommended for use by Penta Precision. Please see our 6082 materials page for further information.
Main Attributes of Aluminium 6061:
- Excellent corrosion resistance to atmospheric conditions & good resistance to sea water
- Very good weldability although reduced strength in weld zone (can be re-heat treated & artificially aged again to restore strength)
- Medium fatigue strength
- Available in sheet, plate & extrusions
- Good surface finish
- Good toughness and structural strength
- Good machinability
6061 Machining Quote
Detailed information about 6061 for designers including technical properties can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only. All information is based on our present knowledge and is given in good faith. No liability will be accepted by Penta Precision in respect of any action taken by any third party in reliance thereon.
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see 6061 referred to as:
- Most common temper:
- Other tempers:
- F - As fabricated
- 0 - Annealed to obtain lower strength temper
- T1 - Cooled from an elevated shaping process and naturally aged
- T4, T4511 - Solution heat treated and naturally aged
- T51 - Cooled from an elevated sharping process and artificially aged
- T6511 - Solution heat treated and artificially aged
- Other designations:
- UNS A96061
- ISO AlMg1SiCu
- AD-33 (Russia)
- AA6061-T6, AA6061-T651
- Originally known as Alloy 61s
- AMS 4027
- ASTM B 209
- ASME SB 209
6061 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which 6061 is appropriate, however Penta recommends the use of aluminium 6082 as a better alternative to 6061. Please do get in touch and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Truck frames
- Rail coaches
- Sail boat masts
- Hulls of larger yachts
- Aircraft components
- Appliance fittings
- Marine fittings
- Bike frames
- Heat exchangers, air coolers & heat sinks
- Water,air and hydraulic piping & tubing
- Inside foil wrapper on food containers
- Civil Engineering
- Automotive industries
- Food Packaging
CNC Milled Aluminium Part for Aerospace
Aluminium CNC Machined Component
6061 Machining Service - 6061 Milling & Turning
Penta Precision provides highly accurate aluminium machined parts. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
Penta Precision provides the following 6061 and 6082 services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
What Makes Penta Different?
Our 3 unique pillars to delivering exemplary service:
We are regularly machining aluminium 6061 and 6082 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your 6061 machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.