A Guide to aluminium 6061 CNC Machined Parts: Properties, Applications and Design Considerations
What is 6061?
6061 is a versatile medium to high strength heat-treatable American wrought aluminium alloy.
Aluminium 6061 is primarily composed of aluminium, magnesium and silicon.
The most common temper is T6. See further heat treatments/temper states below.
Please note: the UK equivalent of 6061 is 6082. 6082 is comparatively new, has replaced 6061 in many applications and is recommended for use by Penta Precision. Please see our 6082 materials page for further information.
Main Attributes of Aluminium 6061:
- Excellent corrosion resistance to atmospheric conditions & good resistance to sea water
- Very good weldability although reduced strength in weld zone (can be re-heat treated & artificially aged again to restore strength)
- Medium fatigue strength
- Available in sheet, plate & extrusions
- Good surface finish
- Good toughness and structural strength
- Good machinability
Detailed information about 6061 for designers can be found in the tabs below. Please note: this information is provided as a guide only.
6061 Machining Service - 6061 Milling & Turning
Penta Precision supplies highly accurate aluminium machined parts throughout the UK. Customers turn to us when they have had quality and delivery issues with their existing suppliers and need a reliable precision machining partner.
We communicate well with customers, we take care with the projects placed with us and we are consistent in our service delivery. See our Proven Process page to find out more about our winning formula.
"Penta Precision provides a near faultless service. They are a friendly and helpful company who I hold with very high regard." John - Tooling engineer
Penta Precision provides the following 6061 and 6082 services:
- CNC milling – prototypes & large batch runs
- CNC turning – prototypes & large batch runs
- Insert installation
- Part marking
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Reasons to Choose Penta:
- ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance
- Consistent high quality machined parts
- Reliable delivery dates - our track record speaks volumes
- Exceptional customer service and communication
- Machining design advice
- Extensive experience in our field
We are regularly machining aluminium 6061 and 6082 for customers all over the UK. Our customers depend on our machining expertise as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. If you'd like to discuss how we can help you with your 6061 machining requirements, here's a list of ways to get in touch with us.