5083 Machining, Properties & Components
What is 5083?
Aluminium 5083 is a medium strength magnesium-manganese-chromium-aluminium alloy. The 5000 series grades of aluminium are non heat-treatable alloys. The temper is achieved by the plate being fully annealed and then rolled to the required temper, rather than being heat treated. It has good ductility for the strength level, better than most other 5000 series alloys.
Main Attributes of 5083:
- Exceptional performance in extreme environments
- Highest strength of all non-treatable aluminium alloys
- Retains excellent strength after welding
- Slightly lower in cost than the common 6082T6
- Highly resistant to both seawater and industrial chemical attack
- Not recommended for use in applications which exceed 65°C
Detailed information about 5083 aluminium alloy for designers including UK stock sizes and technical properties can be found in the tabs below.
Contact us today
Similar or obsolete designation and trade names
You may also see 5083 referred to as:
- Overseas: USA - AA 5083; UK - BS 5083; Germany - DIN AlMg4.5Mn; Europe - EN AW-A 5083; Japan - 5083; JIS A5083P; France - NF A5083; ISO: Al Mg4.5Mn0.7.
- Al Mg4.5 Mn0.7
- BS N8
- DIN 3.3547 (Germany)
- UNS A95083
5083 Components, Applications & Industries
Here are some examples of the industries and components for which 5083 is appropriate. This is by no means an exhaustive list. Please do get in touch if you are considering using 5083 and we can talk through your project with you.
Typical Components & Applications:
- Pressure vessels
- Rail cars
- Vehicle bodies
- Tipper truck bodies
- Mine skips & cages
- Building products
- Electronic components that are not anodised
- Base, side and support plates
- Packaging and processing machinery components
5083 grade and other similar variants are also extensively manufactured in the form of a “cast tooling plate” with a uniform microstructure, low internal stresses and flatter “plough” ground main faces (usually supplied with a thin plastic protective film). A popular option for both machine builders (base, face and side plates) and jig and fixture manufacturers.
- Vehicle manufacture
- Defense / military
- Building and construction
5083 Machining Service
Penta Precision provides the following 5083 aluminium services:
- CNC milling
- CNC turning
- Manual milling
- Manual turning
- Machining design advice
- Machining drawing service
Our customers depend on our expertise at machining 5083, as well as our outstanding delivery performance, to machine the highest quality parts. Contact us to discuss how we can help you with your 5083 machining requirements.